My name is Sarah Baxter and I am the school’s Inclusion Leader and SENCo. I am available to speak with you about any aspect of your child’s special educational needs. Please contact me at school on 01778 347450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What does the SENCo do?
In conjunction with the Head Teacher and the governing body, I support staff in developing high quality teaching and the effective use of resources to bring about improved standards of achievement for pupils with special educational needs.
I am responsible for ensuring that pupils with special or additional needs receive their full educational entitlement and have access to the whole curriculum.
I am supported in my role by Maria Williams.
My other responsibilities include:
- Overseeing the day-to-day operation of the school’s SEN policy.
- Acting as a role model for quality first teaching for all pupils and disseminating good practice in SEN across the school.
- Supporting teachers and teaching staff in the identification and implementation of the most effective teaching approaches for pupils with SEN.
- Co-ordinating provision for children with SEN and those who have education, health and care (EHC) plans.
- Advising on a graduated approach to providing additional SEN support
- Liaising with parents of children with SEN and listening to their views.
- Developing links with early years providers, other schools, educational psychologists, health and social care professionals, and independent or voluntary bodies.
- Building links with other schools to ensure a young person with SEN and his/her parents are informed about options and a smooth transition to secondary education is planned.
- Working with the Head Teacher and school governors to ensure that the school meets its responsibilities under the Equality Act 2010 with regard to reasonable adjustments and access arrangements.
- Working alongside our designated SEND Governor, Mr Mark Gregson and reporting on the effectiveness of SEN provision.
- Devising and monitoring Health Care Plans in conjunction with the class teacher and parents.
- Providing support and training for all staff in areas of SEN.
- Ensuring that the school keeps the records of all children with SEN up to date.